Role and Facility Information
We are seeking a Clinical Pharmacist to join our Kelowna Pharmacy Team. This is a Permanent Full Time role with rotating day and evening shifts.
In accordance with established vision and values of the organization, this position provides pharmacy services to patients in the acute care and residential care environment. As a member of a multidisciplinary team, this position assesses and recommends individualized treatments.
As the Clinical Pharmacist, you will act as the primary resource for drug information, education and provide expert advice to health care professionals. Added responsibility is monitoring drug prescribing, drug distribution and drug therapy to ensure safe, effective, rational, legal and economic use of drugs.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies and assists in the resolution of drug therapy problems. Consults with physicians concerning problems such as drug dosage, allergy, incompatibility, interaction and efficacy; offers alternatives and obtains clarification for all questionable orders.
- Consults with members of the health care team to develop patient-specific therapeutic plans based on chart review, patient information and assessment of clinical responses.
- Conducts drug usage evaluation (DUE) in acute or residential care patients based on established criteria and standards.
- In concert with the health care team, develops and implements pre-printed orders, standards, therapeutic guidelines, policies and procedures for surgical patients.
- Conducts patient counselling and patient education regarding drug therapy.
- Makes written contributions, based on appropriate literature review, to drug information resources (e.g. I.V. manual) and the department newsletter as required.
- Provides work direction to pharmacy assistants in service activities including checking of work performed by pharmacy assistants.
- Provides instruction and supervision to students such as University Pharmacy undergraduates.
- Maintains professional competence and expertise in the pharmaceutical profession through the on-going review of current pharmacy and medical literature, attendance at in-service or other educational programs as well as through contact with peer professionals.
Join our team as we build clinical pharmacy practice across Interior Health through innovation, progression, and dedication!
- A work environment conducive to growth and development of strong clinical pharmacy skills
- Access to many clinical resources, including clinical pharmacy specialist support for all pharmacists
- Continuous educational opportunities
- Interdisciplinary environments where patients are at the centre of care
- 100 percent employer paid comprehensive benefits’ package and pension plan
- A balanced lifestyle that allows you to maintain the quality of life you desire.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Pharmacy.
- Current licensure with the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia.
- Completion of a Hospital Pharmacy Residency Program or a combination of at least one year of hospital experience and advanced education courses.
- Active membership in the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists is encouraged.